Nestled in the lap of the majestic Himalayas, Himachal Pradesh is a paradise for nature enthusiasts, adventure seekers, and those looking for peace. From Shimla’s breathtaking beauty to the Spiti Valley’s terrains, each place offers a unique experience that will carve itself into your memory. Among the tourist places in Himachal Pradesh, we’ve curated these 12 places that offer the best experiences and beauty in the state. Let’s explore these 12 tourist places in Himachal Pradesh to experience an adventurous & beautiful side of nature.
Top Tourist Places In Himachal Pradesh
The capital of Himachal and one of the bustling towns of the state. Shimla attracts visitors globally. The region offers cold breezes, pleasant weather, and chilling snow in winter, making it the perfect place to visit year-round. The Mall Road, Church, and street food are some of the top attractions of Shimla. It is a melting pot of cultures and communities. It’s home to people from various ethnic backgrounds, including locals, Tibetans, and British expatriates. Shimla is one of the top tourist places in Himachal Pradesh, offering culture, breathtaking views, and vibrant life all in one place.
Best time to visit Shimla: March to June are the popular months. The temperature ranges between 15°C and 30°C, offering a pleasant escape from summer. Winter months, from December to February, are the best to witness snowfall.
Top Attractions: Green Valley, Annandale, Tara Devi Temple
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹5,000 – ₹8,000 per person for a 2-day trip
Things To Do In Shimla
- Visit Jakhoo Temple: Hike up to Jakhoo Temple, dedicated to Lord Hanuman. It offers panoramic views of Shimla and is home to playful monkeys.
- Explore Viceregal Lodge: Discover the historical significance of the Viceregal Lodge, also known as Rashtrapati Niwas. This colonial-era building served as the summer residence of the British Viceroy.
- Go for Nature Walks and Hikes: Several scenic trails around Shimla, including the Glen Forest Trail, offer a serene escape into nature.
Situated at an altitude of around 2,050 meters (6,726 feet) above sea level, Manali offers scenic views of the Himalayan valley. It’s a haven for adventure enthusiasts. Activities like trekking, mountaineering, paragliding, river rafting, and skiing (during the winter months) are popular among visitors. The place also offers a beautiful background and vibe for newlyweds. Some top attractions include Solang Valley, Mall Road, Rohtang Pass, Hidimba Temple, and Old Manali. Visit this place if you love the bustling city vibe amidst the mountains.
Best time to visit Manali: Summer season (March to June) is the peak and one of the best times to visit Manali when the temperature ranges between 10°C to 25°C. December to February are the best months to visit Manali to witness snowfall.
Note: Manali becomes immensely crowded during snowfall season. Issues like heavy traffic jams are prevalent during this time, so plan your travel accordingly.
Top Attractions: Hadimba Temple, Manu Temple, Manali Wildlife Sanctuary
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹8,000 – ₹12,000 per person for a 2-day trip
Things To Do In Manali
- Visit Cafes: You’ll find many exciting cafes in Manali that offer delicious delights and scenic views. Check out some of the cafes to experience something unique in the region.
- Visit Nehru Kund: A natural spring named after India’s first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, known for its crystal-clear waters and serene surroundings.
- Visit Naggar Castle: Situated on the banks of the Beas River, this ancient castle offers a glimpse into the region’s historical architecture and provides panoramic views of the surrounding valleys.
Spiti Valley is one of the highest Himalayan points among the untouched Himachal Pradesh regions. The Buddhist culture has flourished in the region; you’ll find various temples & shrines dedicated to the Lord Buddha in the valley. Despite its barren appearance, Spiti Valley supports a surprising variety of wildlife. You might spot Himalayan ibex, snow leopards, blue sheep, and various bird species. If you love adventure, Spiti Valley is a paradise.
Best time to visit Spiti Valley: The best times to visit are the summer months from May to June (15°C to 25°C), offering the best weather to view the landscape and tour. Late summer to early Autumn (September to October) is another excellent time to visit Spiti Valley when temperature ranges between 10°C to 20°C offering pleasant weather.
Top Attractions: Chandratal Lake, Komik and Hikkim, Kibber Village
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹12,000 – ₹18,000 per person for a 5-7 day trip
Things To Do In Spiti Valley
- Visit Key Monastery: Explore one of Spiti’s largest and oldest monasteries. Admire its unique architecture and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding valley.
- Explore Dhankar Monastery and Dhankar Lake: Visit the ancient Dhankar Monastery, perched on a cliff, and hike to Dhankar Lake for breathtaking views of the Spiti Valley.
- Visit Tabo Monastery: Discover the “Ajanta of the Himalayas,” known for its exquisite ancient scriptures.
Also known as the Mini Switzerland of India, Dalhousie is a famous tourist place in Himachal Pradesh. The town is known for its picturesque landscapes, dense pine and deodar forests, and views of the surrounding mountains. Some top attractions include Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary, Dainkund Peak, and St. John’s Church. During winter, the region experiences snowfall, attracting tourists from various parts of India. If you want to experience adventure, scenery, and peace, Dalhousie is your ideal destination.
Best time to visit Dalhousie: The best times to visit Dalhousie are from March to June (15°C to 30°C) for pleasant weather and relief from hot summer and from December to January (0°C and 10°C) to experience snowfall in India.
Top Attractions: Khajjiar, Chamera Lake, Panchpula
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹8,000 – ₹12,000 per person for a 2-3 day trip
Things To Do In Dalhousie
- Paragliding and Zorbing: For adventurous souls, Khajjiar and nearby areas offer opportunities for paragliding and zorbing, providing a unique landscape perspective.
- Shopping for Local Crafts: Dalhousie offers a variety of shops where you can buy local handicrafts, woollens, and souvenirs. Tibetan Market and Mall Road are famous shopping areas.
- Visit Temples: Visit temples in and around Dalhousie, like Chamunda Devi Temple, Chattradi Temple, and Bhulwani Mata Temple.
Kasauli is a serene and offbeat location in Himachal Pradesh. Located just 3 hours from Chandigarh, this place is the best weekend getaway. View the city of Chandigarh from the sunset point and eat delicious street food at the Kasauli market. The Hanuman temple (Monkey Point) also offers excellent views of the surrounding valleys. The place is perfect if you just want a short trip to the Himalayas and enjoy the mountain views.
Best time to visit Kasauli: This all-season hill station offers pleasant weather and panoramic views all year. But our favourite is the monsoon season (September to November), when the hills are covered with white clouds offering a heavenly vibe to the visitors.
Top Attractions: Monkey Point, Gilbert Trail, Kasauli Brewery
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹8,000 – ₹12,000 per person for a 2-3 day trip
Things To Do in Kasauli
- Enjoy Sunset at Sunset Point: Witness a breathtaking sunset at this popular viewpoint. It’s a serene spot for relaxation and photography.
- Experience Local Cuisine: Try Himachali specialities like Chana Madra, Sidu, Babru, and Dham at local eateries and restaurants.
- Nature Walks and Hiking: Kasauli is perfect for leisurely walks amidst lush forests. Gilbert Trail and Lover’s Lane are popular routes for nature enthusiasts.
Another offbeat and hidden location in Himachal Pradesh, offering stunning views of the surrounding valleys, is Chail. Nestled in the Himalayas Shivalik Range, it provides visitors a serene ambience, lush green forests, and picturesque landscapes. Chail Palace and Kali Temple are some of the known places in the region, but the site has much more to offer. From the Chail cricket ground to the Gaura River, Chail is full of natural and man-made wonders. If you’re a fan of hidden & offbeat locations, Chail is one of the best places to visit in Himachal Pradesh.
Best time to visit Chail: March to May is a beautiful time to witness the greenery and beauty of Chail. The temperature ranges from 10°C to 25°C, offering a pleasant weather to explore the location. You can visit from December to February to experience a chilly mountain winter. The temperature ranges between 4°C and 18°C.
Top Attractions: Gaura River, Chail Cricket Stadium, Chail Palace
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹8,000 – ₹12,000 per person for a 2-3 day trip
Things To Do In Chail
- Kali Ka Tibba (Temple): Visit this temple dedicated to the goddess Kali, offering panoramic views of the Shivalik Range. It’s a popular spot for devotees and tourists.
- Gurudwara Sahib: Situated amidst scenic surroundings, this gurudwara provides a place of worship and tranquillity for devotees.
- Chail Bazaar: Stroll through the local market for shopping. You’ll find handicrafts, local produce, and souvenirs.
Jibhi Valley is a lesser-known gem located in Himachal Pradesh. The valley is surrounded by dense deodar forests. The place offers great opportunities for adventure lovers, the Jibhi-Tirthan trek is also quite popular among the masses. Trek to Jalori pass to witness a beautiful Serolsar lake. Jibhi valley is the ideal place for a weekend getaway in the lap of Himalayas.
Best time to visit Jibhi valley: This hill station is perfect to visit anytime during the year as the weather remains pleasant throughout. The temperature ranges from 0°C (December to February) to 25°C (June to August), offering the perfect weather to explore the destination in all seasons.
Top Attractions: Great Himalayan National Park (GHNP), Chehni Kothi, Jalori Pass
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹7,000 – ₹15,000 for a 3-4 day trip
Things To Do In Jibhi Valley
- Nature Walks and Hikes: Explore the lush forests, rivers, and picturesque landscapes by taking leisurely walks or hiking.
- Jalori Pass Exploration: Visit Jalori Pass for stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. It’s also an excellent spot for photography.
- Waterfall and River Crossings: Explore the region’s small waterfalls and enjoy river crossings for a refreshing experience.
Located in the Lahaul Valley, Sissu is just a few kilometres from Manali. This offbeat destination offers stunning views of the higher Himalayan regions. One of the highlights of Sissu is the majestic Sissu Waterfall, also known as the Geyu Gonpa Waterfall. It cascades from about 60 feet, creating a mesmerising sight for visitors. If you plan a trip to Manali, keep a day for this place, you won’t be disappointed!
Best time to visit Sissu: September to November (5°C to 20°C) offers pleasant weather to explore the region. If you want to experience rainfall, December and February are the best months to visit. Remember that the temperature goes as low as -5°C in the region, so don’t forget to keep many warm clothes and medicines.
Top Attractions: Sissu Waterfall, Keylong, Gondhla Fort
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹11,000 – ₹15,000 for a 3-4 day trip
Things To Do In Sissu
- Tandi Confluence: Witness the confluence of the Chandra and Bhaga Rivers at Tandi, which form the Chandrabhaga River. It’s a spiritually significant spot and offers beautiful views.
- Visit Trilokinath Temple: Drive to Udaipur (about 30 kilometres from Sissu) to explore the ancient Trilokinath Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. It’s an important pilgrimage site.
- Explore Udaipur: To learn about the local culture and history, visit the Mrikula Devi Temple and the Mrikula Devi Museum.
One of the most famous places to visit in Himachal Pradesh, Chamba, is a historic town that tells stories of the rich Indian history. The town has a rich cultural heritage dating back to the 6th century AD. It was the ancient capital of the Chamba Kingdom and is known for its architectural marvels. It is also home to a number of ancient temples, including the Lakshmi Narayan Temple, Chamunda Devi Temple, and the Bansi Gopal Temple. Visit Chamba to experience the Himalayas’ heritage, culture, and scenic beauty.
Best time to visit Chamba: October to June offers a pleasant time to visit Chamba, with temperatures ranging from 0°C to 30°C. Explore ancient regions and temples with a little cool breeze in Chamba.
Top Attractions: Lakshmi Narayan Temple (Chamba Temple), Chamunda Devi Temple, Rang Mahal
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹10,000 – ₹15,000 per person for a 3-4 day trip
Things To Do In Chamba
- Tour the Bhuri Singh Museum: Immerse yourself in the local history and culture by exploring this museum, which houses Pahari miniature paintings, ancient manuscripts, and artefacts.
- Explore Chaugan (Chowgan): Stroll through this vast grassy field in the heart of Chamba town. It’s a popular spot for locals and visitors alike.
- Explore the Ravi Riverbanks: Enjoy a leisurely walk along the banks of the Ravi River, appreciating the natural beauty and serene surroundings.
Also Read: Best Places To Visit During Monsoon in India
Parvati Valley is situated in the Kullu district in the western Himalayas. It is named after the Parvati River, which flows through the valley. The valley is famous among backpackers and travellers for its vibrant cultural scene and beauty. It is a haven for adventurers as it offers a range of trekking routes that lead to stunning destinations like Kheerganga, Pin Parvati Pass, and Mantalai Lake. Parvati Valley is a must-visit destination if you love trekking and a vibrant travelling vibe.
Best time to visit Parvati Valley: October to February is the best time to visit the Valley. The temperature ranges from 0°C to 25°C, offering fine weather to trek.
Top Attractions: Kheerganga Trek, Manikaran Sahib Gurudwara, Tosh Village
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹6,000 – ₹10,000 per person for a 2-3 day trip
Things To Do In Parvati Valley
- Explore Malana Village: Discover the unique culture and traditions of Malana, often referred to as the “Little Greece of India.” The village is known for producing Malana Cream, a strain of cannabis.
- Chalal Riverside Walk: Enjoy a leisurely walk to Chalal from Kasol, following the Parvati River. It’s a peaceful spot for picnics and relaxation.
- Visit Nakthan Village: Explore Nakthan, a village along the Parvati River known for its apple orchards and serene ambience.
Kinnaur is located on the Indo-Tibetan border. It’s surrounded by majestic mountain ranges, including the Zanskar and Greater Himalayas. It features a diverse landscape, ranging from lush green valleys to barren, high-altitude deserts. It’s dotted with orchards, terraced fields, and dense forests. Kinnaur is home to various monasteries and temples, reflecting a blend of Indo-Tibetan cultures. Explore the northeastern region of Himachal Pradesh to experience something unique & fresh in the Himalayan valleys.
Best time to visit Kinnaur: April to October serves as the best time to visit this district with temperatures ranging from 5°C to 30°C, offering pleasant weather to explore the region.
Top Attractions: Kinner Kailash Range, Kalpa, Nako Lake and Village
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹10,000 – ₹15,000 per person for a 4-5 day trip
Things To Do In Kinnaur
- Visit Lippa Village: Lippa is a remote village known for its unique Lipa language and culture. It’s a great place to experience the traditional way of life.
- Explore Kamru Fort: Located in Sangla, this ancient fort is dedicated to the Kamakshi Devi. It offers panoramic views of the Sangla Valley.
- Visit Bhaba Valley: Known for its diverse flora and fauna, Bhaba Valley offers opportunities for trekking and exploration.
Mentioned in various holy Hindu scriptures, including the Mahabharat, Kangra has a very significant role in Indian culture and history. Kangra was once the capital of the ancient Kangra Kingdom and has a legacy of art, architecture, and traditions. The region also has various flora and fauna due to its diverse terrain. It houses several wildlife sanctuaries, including the Maharana Pratap Sagar Wildlife Sanctuary and the Pong Dam Wildlife Sanctuary. Want to experience culture and diversity in one place? Kangra is the paradise for you.
Best time to visit Kangra: June to October is the perfect time to visit the region. The temperature ranges from 15°C to 25°C, offering the best weather to explore the region.
Top Attractions: Kangra Fort, Chinmaya Tapovan, Kareri Lake
Average Budget From Delhi: ₹8,000 – ₹12,000 per person for a 3-4 day trip
Things To Do In Kangra
- Offer Prayers at Brajeshwari Devi Temple: Pay a visit to this revered Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Brajeshwari, known for its religious significance.
- Visit Dharamshala and McLeodGanj: Explore the residence of the 14th Dalai Lama and immerse yourself in Tibetan culture and spirituality.
- Trek to Triund: Embark on a popular trek to Triund, which offers breathtaking views of the Dhauladhar range and the Kangra Valley.
Himachal Pradesh is the land full of nature’s grandeur and cultural richness. From the majestic peaks of Shimla to the tranquil valleys of Spiti, every corner of this state exudes charm and beauty. Whether you want to explore the Himalayan beauty, indulge in delicious street food, or learn about the mountain’s history and culture, Himachal Pradesh offers the best experience for all. So, plan your trip now and discover wonders at this heavenly region in India.