Imagine you’re on a mountain peak covered with white snow under the bright sun, drinking hot coffee with a hot & spicy Maggi. It felt like heaven, didn’t it? This scenario need not be a dream anymore since winter is approaching, and many hilly areas in India will experience snowfall, allowing you to enjoy your hot snack while sitting on a snowy peak.
But where to head? What shall I keep? What’s the best time to witness snowfall in India? If these questions are popping in your mind, you need not worry. This article will tell you everything you need to have a perfect winter holiday in India. So, let’s not waste time and jump to the blog to learn about the best places to visit during snowfall in India.
- Places To Experience The Best Snowfall In India
- Essential Things To Keep For A Safe Vacation
- Take Away
- More To Explore
Places To Experience The Best Snowfall In India
Dhanaulti – Uttarakhand
Dhanaulti is an off-beat location near Mussoorie. It is home to the famous Surkanda Devi Temple and witnesses snowfall every year. The place is near Delhi and Uttar Pradesh, and you’ll find many tourists flocking here during winter. It offers aesthetic views of the Himalayas, including the imposing Bandarpoonch, Gangotri, and Yamunotri peaks. Dhanaulti is truly a scenic location to witness snowfall and a must-visit during winter.
Best time to visit Dhanaulti: November to February
Some good places to stay:
- Sadhoo Vibes Resort: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 3000, Contact – 931533624, Map link: Sadhoo Vibes Resort
- Hotel Himalaya View: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 2700, Contact – 06397442585, Map link: Hotel Himalaya View
- Rhodo Inn: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 3000, Contact – 9389712491, Map link: Rhodo Inn
How To Reach Dhanaulti?
- By Air: The nearest airport to Dhanaulti is the Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, approximately 82 kilometres away.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to Dhanaulti is Dehradun Railway Station, about 66 kilometres away.
- If you travel from Delhi, you can drive or take a bus to Dhanaulti. The distance is approximately 290 kilometres, and the journey takes about 8-9 hours.
Things To Do In Dhanaulti During Snowfall
- Eco Park: This park is a must-visit in Dhanaulti. It offers a well-maintained garden, walking trails, and stunning views of the Himalayas.
- Surkanda Devi Temple: Located at around 2,757 metres, this ancient temple is dedicated to Goddess Parvati. Visit this temple for a spiritual retreat and panoramic views.
- Bonfires and Hot Drinks: Warm up around a bonfire with friends or family. Enjoy hot beverages like tea, coffee, or cocoa to relieve the chill.
Mcleodganj – Himachal Pradesh
Mcleodganj is a vibrant and scenic hill station near Dharamshala. Tibetan culture is prevalent in this region, and you’ll find many monasteries here. The hill station experiences snowfall during winter, covering the region with white and shiny snow. These mountain peaks covered in snow leave a lasting impression on us, giving us a memory to cherish.
Best time to visit Mcleodganj: December to February
Where to stay:
- The Hosteller Mcleodganj: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 900, Contact – 9810187717, Map link: The Hosteller
- Naddi Castle: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs.4000, Contact – 8580836133, Map link: Naddi Castle
How To Reach Mcleodganj?
- By Air: Gaggal Airport, or Kangra Airport, is approximately 18 kilometres away.
- By Train: Pathankot Railway Station is approximately 89 kilometres away.
- By Road: Delhi (500 km), 10 to 12 hours and Chandigarh (250 km), 6-7 hours.
Things To Do In Mcleodganj
- Naddi View Point: Visit Naddi, which offers spectacular views of the snow-clad Dhauladhar mountain range. It’s an ideal spot for photography.
- Shop for Tibetan Souvenirs: McLeod Ganj offers a range of Tibetan and Indian handicrafts, jewellery, clothing, and more. It’s a great place to pick up unique souvenirs.
- Visit the Namgyal Monastery: This is one of the most important Tibetan monasteries outside Tibet. It’s a centre for learning and practising Buddhism.
Patnitop – Jammu & Kashmir
Patnitop is a picturesque hill station in the Udhampur district in Jammu and Kashmir. Situated at around 2024 meters, it offers breathtaking views of the Shivalik Range. During winters, the mountain range is covered in snow, giving a picturesque view of the region. The Nathatop viewpoint provides a panoramic vista of the snow-clad peaks. The serene Sanasar Lake and nearby temples add to the cultural richness of this tranquil destination, making it the perfect place to witness snowfall in India.
Best time to visit Patnitop: December to February
Where to stay:
- Belle Vue Cottages: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 3000, Contact – 8803009999, Map link: Belle Vue Cottages
- Hotel Highway Udhampur: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 2300, Contact – 8492958150, Map link: Hotel Highway
How To Reach Patnitop?
- By Air: The nearest airport to Patnitop is Jammu Airport (Satwari Airport), approximately 120 kilometres away.
- By Train: The nearest major railway station is Udhampur Railway Station, about 45 kilometres from Patnitop.
- By Road: You can travel from Jammu (120 km), Udhampur (Approx. 45 km), Srinagar (Approx. 190 km), and Katra (Approx. 80 km).
Things To Do In Patnitop
- Visit Nathatop Viewpoint: This viewpoint offers scenic views of the mountains and valleys. It’s especially beautiful during sunrise and sunset.
- Explore Sanasar Lake: Take a leisurely walk around the scenic Sanasar Lake. You can also indulge in activities like boating.
- Visit the Pine Forest: The dense pine forest in Patnitop is perfect for nature walks and photography.
Srinagar – Jammu & Kashmir
Srinagar is the capital of Jammu & Kashmir, receiving snowfall every year. The place looks no less than a winter wonderland during snowfall. Tourists from many regions of India flock here during the snowy season to experience it. The cityscape, draped in a pristine blanket of white, emanates a serene calm. Srinagar becomes a heaven during winters, making it one of the best snow places in India, with beauty, calmness, serenity, and adventure in one place.
Best time to visit Srinagar: December to February
Where to stay:
- The Heritage Group Of Houseboats: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 2700, Contact – 9086539992, Map link: Heritage Group of Houseboats
- Hotel Curio’s All Seasons: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 1800, Contact – 8899922587, Map link: Hotel Curio’s
- Houseboat New Manora: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 2000, Map link: New Manora
How To Reach Srinagar?
- By Air: The easiest way to reach Srinagar is by air. Srinagar International Airport, also known as Sheikh ul-Alam International Airport, is well-connected to major cities in India. Flights operate regularly from cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, and others.
- By Train: The nearest major railway station is Jammu Tawi, which is approximately 300 kilometres away from Srinagar.
- By Road: Srinagar is connected to other major regional cities. The Jammu-Srinagar National Highway (NH-44) is the main route. You can hire a taxi, take a bus, or drive your own vehicle.
Things To Do In Srinagar
- Shikara Ride on Dal Lake: Indulge in the unique Shikara experience on Dal Lake. View the beautiful surroundings and experience the calmness & serenity of the valley.
- Explore Old Srinagar City: Stroll through the old city’s narrow lanes, where the quaint houses, bustling bazaars, and historic architecture take on a unique charm in the snow.
- Visit Shankaracharya Temple: Hike up to the Shankaracharya Temple to get a panoramic view of Srinagar under a layer of snow.
Dalhousie – Himachal Pradesh
Dalhousie is God’s abode in the mountains. The scenic mountain range, Khajjiar, and majestic peaks attract tourists from all over the country. The snow-capped peaks reflect the charismatic beauty of the Himalayas. At many tourist spots, you can find various tea stalls & shops selling hot tea and Maggi, adding to the serene experience of the snow. The view of snow peaks under the sun while sipping tea would feel like the ultimate liberation. Seriously! You must try it.
Whether you want to view the enticing mountain peaks, play with snow, or just want some Instagrammable pictures, Dalhousie is among the best places to visit in India to witness snowfall.
Best time to visit Srinagar: December to February
Where to stay:
- The Jade Mountain Dalhousie: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 3000, Contact – 8580596609, Map link: The Jade Mountain
- Hotel Forest View Dalhousie: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 1400, Contact – 7986000344
How To Reach Dalhousie?
- By Air: The nearest airport to Dalhousie is the Kangra Airport (Gaggal Airport) in Dharamshala, approximately 110 kilometres away.
- By Train: The nearest major railway station is Pathankot Railway Station, which is approximately 80 kilometres away from Dalhousie.
- By Road: You can reach Dalhousie by road from Kangra (110 km), Pathankot (80 km), Dharamshala (120 km), Chandigarh (320 km), and Delhi (560 km).
Things To Do In Dalhousie
- Visit Khajjiar, the Mini Switzerland: Khajjiar, often called the “Mini Switzerland of India,” takes on an even more enchanting aura during snowfall. The meadows and deodar forests become a winter wonderland.
- Panchpula Waterfalls: Visit Panchpula to witness the waterfalls surrounded by snow. The cascading water against the white backdrop creates a mesmerising sight.
- Gandhi Chowk and Subhash Chowk: Take a leisurely stroll through the town’s main markets, Gandhi Chowk and Subhash Chowk, to enjoy the snow-covered streets and shops.
Tawang – Arunachal Pradesh
Want to visit a lesser-known, mesmerising town for snowfall in India? Tawang is a hidden gem in the northeast with majestic peaks and lake views. The snow-covered mountains offer tranquillity and peace of mind to the viewers. The landscape, draped in a soft, white blanket, exudes a serene calm. The Tawang Monastery perched atop a hill, stands out like a jewel against the snow-clad backdrop. Tawang is a must-visit destination to discover the majestic gems of nature and experience peace.
Best time to visit Tawang: Late November to early March
Where to stay:
- Hotel Jhaktsang: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 3000, Contact – 8256973852, Map link: Hotel Jhaktsang
- Dewa Elegance: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 3000, Contact – 6909296091, Map link: Dewa Elegance
How To Reach Tawang?
- By Air: Salonibari Airport in Tezpur, Assam, is the nearest airport to Tawang, approximately 340 km.
- By Road: The most common route is from Guwahati, Assam. It’s approximately 480 kilometres and takes around 12-14 hours by road. Another route is from Bomdila, approx. 180 km from Tawang.
Things To Do In Tawang
- Sela Pass Excursion: Visit the Sela Pass, which remains snow-covered during winter. The views of the frozen Sela Lake and the surrounding mountains are breathtaking.
- Madhuri Lake Excursion: Although a bit of a drive, Madhuri Lake is a stunning sight in winter. It’s frozen, providing a unique perspective of this beautiful natural attraction.
- Visit Tawang Monastery: Explore the ancient Tawang Monastery, one of the largest in India. The serene atmosphere and stunning architecture are exceptionally enchanting in the winter backdrop.
Manali – Himachal Pradesh
The most popular and one of the best places to witness snowfall in India is Manali. Flocked with thousands of tourists every year, Manali offers a vibrant & joyful atmosphere during winter. The mall road is covered with snow, offering an enticing view. Enjoy hot momos and coffee on the street, and visit the Hadimba Temple and deer park to experience the best of Manali during winter. If the weather permits, you can also visit Rohtang Pass to witness rocky snow-filled peaks.
Best time to visit Manali: December and early February
Where to stay:
- Naina Resort Manali: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 2000, Map link: Naina Resort
- Hollywood Vibes: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 900, Contact – 8091077714, Map link: Hotel Hollywood
- Wooib Hotels: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 3000, Contact – 85700 85700, Map link: Wooib Hotels
How To Reach Manali?
- By Air: The nearest airport to Manali is Bhuntar Airport, also known as Kullu-Manali Airport, located approximately 50 kilometres away.
- By Train: The nearest central railway station is Chandigarh Railway Station, which is about 315 kilometres away from Manali.
- By Road: You can reach by road from Delhi (500 km) and Chandigarh (approx 270 km).
Things To Do In Manali
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Head to Solang Valley, Gulaba, or Rohtang Pass for skiing and snowboarding. There are also skiing courses available for beginners.
- Hot Springs at Vashisht: Soak in the warm natural springs at Vashisht and enjoy the therapeutic benefits, especially in the cold winter months.
- Explore Old Manali: Stroll through the charming lanes of Old Manali, visit cafes, and enjoy the scenic views of snow-covered mountains.
Narkanda – Himachal Pradesh
Located near Shimla, Narkanda is a serene district with beautiful sceneries covering the entire town. If you’re tired of the hustle and bustle of Shimla or want to explore an off-beat location without going much further, Narkanda is the ideal place. During winter, the town is completely covered with snow, making it the perfect location to enjoy the snow from your hotel. You can visit the Hatu Mata Temple, indulge in shopping, and try local cuisines to delve deeper into Narkanda’s culture. Overall, it’s the perfect destination to enjoy the snow and explore a different culture in the lap of the Himalayas.
Best time to visit Narkanda: Late December to early February
Where to stay:
- Sukoon Narkanda Cottage by Nesta: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 3600, Contact – 9501221122, Map link: Sukoon Narkanda
- Oaktree Homestay: Average cost for two per night – Approx Rs. 2200, Contact – 9817139139, Map link: Oaktree Homestay
How To Reach Narkanda?
- By Air: The nearest airport to Narkanda is Jubbarhatti Airport in Shimla, approximately 83 kilometres away.
- By Train: The nearest central railway station is Kalka Railway Station, which is about 150 kilometres away from Narkanda.
- By Road: You can reach Narkanda from Delhi (402 km) and Chandigarh (173 km).
Things To Do In Narkanda
- Skiing at Hatu Peak: Hatu Peak offers excellent skiing opportunities during the winter months. It’s one of the highest points in the region and provides breathtaking views.
- Visit Stokes Farm: Stokes Farm, one of the oldest apple farms in the region, is a must-visit. Learn about apple cultivation and enjoy freshly plucked apples.
- Visit Mahamaya Temple: Located near the Tani Jubbar Lake, this ancient temple dedicated to Goddess Kali offers beautiful views of the surroundings.
Essential Things To Keep For A Safe Vacation
Winter & snowfall in India are very exciting times of the year, but at the same time, they can be a little harsh to your well-being and health. Here are some things you must keep to stay warm and safe while travelling to these locations.
- Warm jackets and sweaters: Keep a set of jackets and sweaters in your bags as the altitude rises; you may need more clothes to keep yourself warm.
- Shoes with spikes: Plain shoes may cause problems walking in the snow. So, keep spiky shoes to walk freely on the slippery surface.
- Medicines: If you’re taking any medicines, don’t forget to keep them; if you don’t, keep a normal fever or cold medicine for emergencies.
- Moisturisers and lip balms: It’s necessary to keep your skin moisturised as it’s prone to dry in the cold weather.
Witnessing snowfall is an enchanting experience that you must experience at least once in your life. In India, this beautiful phenomenon is found on the mountain peaks, adding charm to the winter season. These 8 places experience the best snowfall in the country, with snow-clad peaks, lakes, hot springs, vibrant markets, and more. So, if you wish to see snow and play snowball fights, consider visiting any of these 8 places for a mesmerising experience.
More To Explore
- India is in a vacation mood in summer. Explore the Top Places to Visit in India In June and plan your vacation in advance to save the last-minute hustle.
- The rainy season brings pleasant breezes, serene views, and surroundings to many places in India. Check out the Best Places to Visit in Monsoon in India to plan the perfect trip in the rainy season.