We all have heard & wished to party at the vibrant beaches of North Goa. Indeed, Goa has some of the most beautiful & happening beaches in India, but Kerala takes the top position when it comes to serene, tranquil, and cultural beaches in India. From Beypore to Kochi, Kerala is home to many stunning beaches, and in this blog, we’ve covered the 10 best beaches in Kerala you must visit while on a trip to this scenic state. Let’s dive into this exciting list & explore the best of nature.
The Best Beaches in Kerala
Kovalam translates to coconut, and the beach is in Thiruvananthapuram. Kovalam Beach is one of the best beaches in Kerala to relax & appreciate the waves. The beach is divided into three crescents, each with its charm – Lighthouse Beach, Hawah Beach, and Samudra Beach.
Lighthouse Beach, named after the towering red and white lighthouse, is the most popular, bustling with activity and water sports. Hawah Beach is quieter and known for its serene ambience, while Samudra Beach exudes a laid-back vibe. Visit these beaches to get an unforgettable experience on the sands of Kerala.
Places to Visit Near Kovalam Beach
- Padmanabhaswamy Temple: Located 10 km from the beach, this grand temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It’s renowned for its stunning architecture, intricate carvings, and spiritual significance.
- Akkulam Tourist Village: Situated about 10 kilometres from Kovalam, this is a recreational spot with a water theme park, boating facilities, and beautiful gardens.
Nearby Street Food Centres To Kovalam Beach
- Ganesh Bakery: Located near Lighthouse Beach, this bakery offers a range of freshly baked goods, including pastries, cakes, and cookies. It’s an excellent place for a quick snack.
- Curry Leaf: This restaurant, close to Kovalam Beach, serves a wide range of South Indian and Kerala dishes. You can try local favourites like dosas, idlis, and seafood specialities.
Varkala Beach is a unique beach in southern Kerala with cliffs adjacent to the Arabian Sea. It is a one-of-a-kind beach with spiritual & cultural significance. It is believed that bathing once on this beach’s water washes away all your sins, naming it the Papanasham Beach.
Locals also say that the water has medicinal properties, making Varkala Beach one of the best beaches in Kerala to experience spirituality. You’ll also find many Ayurvedic centres surrounding the beach. So, if you wish to heal internally & physically, Varkala Beach should be on your list of top beaches in Kerala.
Places To Visit Near Varkala Beach
- Sivagiri Mutt: Situated around 3 kilometres from Varkala Beach, this pilgrimage centre is dedicated to the philosopher and social reformer Sree Narayana Guru. The ashram has a serene ambience and hosts an annual pilgrimage called Sivagiri Pilgrimage.
- Kappil Lake: Located about 7 kilometres from Varkala Beach, this picturesque lake is surrounded by lush greenery and is an excellent spot for a peaceful boat ride.
Food Centres At Varkala Beach
- Café del Mar: Situated on the cliff, this café offers a cosy atmosphere and serves various dishes, including fresh seafood, pasta, and local Kerala cuisine.
- Hari Guha Café: Known for its relaxed atmosphere and delicious food, this café on the cliff serves various dishes, including seafood, Indian, and international cuisine.
Experience the history and culture at Bekal Beach. Located 16 km south of Kasaragod district, Bekal Beach tells stories of its rich past. With majestic views, you also learn about the town’s history at this beach. The Bekal Fort stands atop a hill in front of the ocean, giving a panoramic view of the beach. Bekal Beach’s historical significance and stunning views place it among the best beaches in Kerala. Whether you are interested in history, nature, or simply enjoying the beach, Bekal offers diverse experiences.
Places To Visit Near Bekal Beach
- Bekal Fort: Dominating the landscape is the historic Bekal Fort, one of the top historical places in India. The ticket price for this fort is ₹15, and the timings are 8 am to 6 pm.
- Rock Garden: Located 16 km from Bekal Beach in Kanhangad, the Rock Garden is known for its unique landscape, characterised by massive rock formations. Visit this garden to capture nature’s amazing art & scenery.
Food Centres At Bekal Beach
- Bekal Ripples: Situated close to Bekal Beach, this restaurant offers a mix of North Indian, South Indian, and Chinese cuisine. It’s known for its seafood dishes.
- Ananda Lakshmi Ayurveda Retreat: Besides Ayurvedic treatments, this retreat offers a restaurant serving healthy and organic vegetarian meals.
Situated on the Northern side of Vypin Island, Cherai Beach is one of Kerala’s cleanest and most serene beaches. The beach is around 10 km long & is famous for its frequent dolphin sightings. The scenic backwaters nearby add to its charm, creating a picturesque setting. With its relaxed atmosphere, Cherai Beach is among the best beaches in Kerala for those seeking a peaceful retreat amidst the beauty of Kerala’s coastal landscape.
Places To Visit Near Cherai Beach
- Pallipuram Fort: Located on Vypin Island, 12 km from Cherai Beach, this 16th-century fort is one of the oldest European forts in India. It offers a glimpse into the region’s colonial history.
- Kadambrayar Boating Centre: Located about 8 kilometres from Cherai, this boating centre offers boat rides through the scenic backwaters, providing a unique perspective of the coastal landscape.
Nearby Food Centres To Cherai Beach
- Dhe Puttu: If you’re looking to try Kerala’s traditional dish, “puttu”, this restaurant is known for serving it in various styles.
- Puzhayoram: This is another popular restaurant in Cherai known for its seafood and local cuisine.
Known for its ancient shipbuilding history & traditional wooden vessels called “Uru,” Beypore Beach is among the best beaches in Kerala to witness cultural & natural beauty. Located in Kozhikode, Beypore Beach offers scenic views & delicious local cuisine to relax next to the ocean. Whether you want to click aesthetic pictures, sunbathe or just stroll around the ocean, Beypore Beach is the perfect place.
Places To Visit Near Beypore Beach
- Tali Shiva Temple: An ancient and important temple located in the heart of Kozhikode city, about 12 kilometres from Beypore. This temple is among the famous temples in India and a must-visit to experience spirituality.
- Pazhassi Raja Museum and Art Gallery: Situated 12 kilometres from Beypore, this museum showcases artefacts related to the history and culture of the region.
Nearby Food Centres To Beypore Beach
- Gokul Oottupura: A vegetarian restaurant serving a variety of South Indian and North Indian dishes.
- Hotel Sagar: This local favourite is known for its seafood and traditional Kerala cuisine.
Planning for a romantic getaway or honeymoon in Kerala? Don’t forget to visit the Payyambalam Beach in Kannur, the best beach in Kerala for couples. Surrounded by lush coconut groves and an enchanting garden, the beach offers a tranquil escape. The calm waters and gentle waves make it ideal for swimming and spending some time together.
It also has an iconic culpture of a mother and child, crafted by renowned sculptor Kanayi Kunhiraman, adding to the charm of Payyambalam Beach. When in Kannur, this beach is a must-visit.
Places To Visit Near Payyambalam Beach
- Kannur Beach: Just about 1.5 kilometres away from Payyambalam Beach, this is another beautiful beach in Kannur with a lively atmosphere.
- St. Angelo Fort: Located about 3 kilometres from Payyambalam Beach, this historic fort offers panoramic views of the Arabian Sea and is steeped in colonial history.
Nearby Eateries To Payyambalam Beach
- Hotel Odhens: A great place to try local Kerala cuisine, including specialities like fish curry and appam.
- Salkara Restaurant: Offers a range of traditional Kerala dishes, including vegetarian options.
If you want a serene, calm, and stunning beach to read a book or spend time with yourself, Kappil Beach in Varkala is your paradise. Nestled between the Edava Narayana Lake and the Arabian Sea, it offers a unique blend of brackish backwaters and the open sea. The adjoining Kappil Lake, fringed with lush greenery, adds charm, making it one of the best beaches in Kerala. Watch birds, chill, or just do nothing at the calm & serene Kappil Beach.
Places To Visit Near Kappil Beach
- Vishnu Temple: Located in Edava, about 3 kilometres from Kappil Beach, this ancient temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu is worth a visit.
- Janardanaswamy Temple: Located in Varkala, about 9 kilometres from Kappil Beach, this ancient temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu.
Nearby Food Joints To Kappil Beach
- Cafe Villa Maya: Known for its picturesque setting and delicious food, this restaurant offers a variety of cuisines, including Indian and continental.
- Trattorias: This Italian restaurant in Varkala is known for its authentic Italian cuisine and charming ambience.
Fringed with coconut palms, Kizhunna Beach is another picturesque & tranquil beach in Kannur. It is relatively less crowded and offers views from the coast, making it another of the best beach in Kerala for couples. Stroll through the coastline, swim, or just sit together on the golden sand to make some unforgettable memories. You can also visit the nearby village to experience Kerala’s culture & traditional lifestyle.
Places To Visit Near Kizhunna Beach
- Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach: Located about 5 kilometres from Kizhunna Beach, it’s known for being the longest drive-in beach in Asia, where you can take your vehicle onto the sand.
- Baby Beach: About 14 kilometres from Kizhunna Beach, this smaller, more secluded beach is ideal for a quiet escape.
Nearby Food Joints To Kizhunna Beach
- Annapurna Restaurant: Known for its vegetarian South Indian and North Indian dishes, this restaurant also offers a selection of local Kerala cuisine.
- Hotel Malabar: A local favourite for its biryani and other traditional Kerala dishes.
Kanwatheertha is a serene & secluded beach located in Kasaragod. One of the unique features of this beach is the natural rock pool formed by the sea. It provides a safe and enjoyable swimming experience, especially during low tide.
Its beautiful view and peaceful atmosphere make it an ideal spot for spending time with your special someone or planning a family picnic. The beach’s rock formations, nearby eateries, and its calm atmosphere place it among the best beaches in Kerala. If you love peace & nature, Kanwatheertha Beach is a must-visit.
Places To Visit Near Kanwatheertha Beach
- Chandragiri Fort: About 8 kilometres from Kanwatheertha Beach, this historic fort offers panoramic views of the Payaswini River and the Arabian Sea.
- Anandashram: Situated approximately 7 kilometres from Kanwatheertha Beach, this spiritual retreat is known for its tranquil ambience and lush green surroundings.
Nearby Food Joints To Kanwatheertha Beach
Although there are no proper food joints near the beach, you can check out the famous food joints near Bekal Fort & Beach, located 5 km from Kanwatheertha.
Nattika Beach is located in Thrissur & is famous for its traditional fishing activities. The local fishermen usually visit Nattika Beach to catch fish. You may find less crowd here as compared to other popular beaches. The beach also offers stunning coastline views and birdwatching opportunities to its visitors.
Ayurvedic centres are around the beach for visitors to get massages and relax. Overall, Nattik Beach is among the best beaches in Kerala to relax & enjoy solitude. If you wish to get out of the city’s hustle & bustle and enjoy a peaceful retreat, Nattika Beach is for you.
Places To Visit Near Nattika Beach
- Chavakkad Beach: Situated about 8 kilometres from Nattika Beach, this lovely beach is known for its golden sands and peaceful atmosphere.
- Palayur Church (St. Thomas Church): About 16 kilometres from Nattika Beach, this ancient Christian church is believed to be one of the seven churches established by St. Thomas the Apostle in India.
Nearby Food Joints To Nattika Beach
- Chavakkad Town: Chavakkad, located nearby, may have a range of restaurants offering local Malabar cuisine, including seafood delicacies.
- Guruvayur Town: Guruvayur, near Nattika Beach, is known for its restaurants serving various vegetarian and non-vegetarian South Indian and Kerala dishes.
Kerala is a land of culture, natural beauty, and mouth-watering cuisines. From houseboats to local markets, Kerala offers varied experiences to its visitors. In addition to these wonderful experiences, Kerala is also home to many awesome beaches & sea shores. In this blog, we’ve tried to cover the 10 best beaches in Kerala which you must visit at least once. Not only do these beaches offer scenic views but also give you internal peace & serenity. If you’re planning to visit Kerala, bookmark this list & explore a different sight of India through these beaches.