Mexico, a country brimming with vibrant culture, ancient history, and breathtaking landscapes, offers many unforgettable travel experiences. From its pristine beaches along the Riviera Maya to the captivating ruins of Chichen Itza, Mexico entices visitors with its rich heritage and diverse attractions.
Whether you seek thrilling adventures, culinary delights, or immersion in centuries-old traditions, this captivating nation has something for everyone. In this blog, we present 14 unmissable things to do in Mexico city, inviting you to embark on a journey that will leave you spellbound by its beauty and enchantment.
- The Best Things To Do In Mexico City
- Visit Chichen Itza
- Relax On The Beaches
- Explore Mexico City
- Experience the Day Of The Dead
- Climb Pyramids in Teotihuacan
- Explore Oaxaca
- Relax In A Hot Spring
- Taste Authentic Mexican Cuisine
- Shop At The Famous Shopping Centres
- Go Whale Watching
- Explore Museums At Night
- Stroll The Witchcraft Market
- Walk & Explore The Chapultepec Park
- Admire Architecture At Palacio Postal
- Our Recommendations For A Perfect Trip
- Final Thoughts
The Best Things To Do In Mexico City
Visit Chichen Itza
Located on the Yucatan Peninsula, this UNESCO World Heritage Site showcases remarkable pyramids, temples, and structures, including the famous El Castillo pyramid, an impressive feat of ancient engineering. The site’s astronomical significance is evident in its alignment with celestial events. The intriguing clap echo and the descending serpent shadow during the equinoxes make it one of the exciting things to do in Mexico city.
Timings: 8 am to 5 pm
Ticket Prices: 85 USD (Adults), 74 USD (Children)
Relax On The Beaches
Mexico’s beaches are a paradise for beach lovers, offering an array of coastal destinations along the Caribbean Sea, Pacific Ocean, and Gulf of Mexico. Their crystal-clear water and palm-fringed landscapes place it among the soothing things to do in Mexico city. Cancun and Playa del Carmen are some must-visit beaches.
- Playa del Amor: The Hidden Beach is a secluded paradise nestled inside a collapsed cave on one of the Marieta Islands off the coast of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Accessible only by swimming or kayaking through a narrow tunnel, this stunning beach features crystal-clear waters and a dramatic natural landscape.
- Playa Mayto: Nestled between lush green hills and the vast ocean, Playa Mayto is an idyllic destination for nature lovers and those seeking a serene beach experience away from the crowds. This hidden gem offers a tranquil and untouched escape with soft golden sands and clear turquoise waters.
- Puerto Progreso: Known for its beautiful beaches, colourful waterfront, and relaxed ambience, it is a popular cruise destination and offers a variety of water activities. Indulge in the cruise experience, boating, swimming, and fishing at Puerto Progreso.
Explore Mexico City
Enjoy the vibrant streets, food, shopping, and parties in Mexico City. Explore its historical landmarks like the grand Zocalo, the ancient ruins of Templo Mayor, and the majestic National Palace. Taste authentic Mexican cuisine at local markets and restaurants. Stroll through the charming neighbourhoods of Condesa and Roma, adorned with art deco buildings and trendy cafes. Losing yourself in a vibrant city with its food, culture, and vibe is undeniably the best things to do in Mexico City.
Some of the unmissable things to do in Mexico City are:
- Visit Historic Landmarks: Explore the Zocalo (main square), Templo Mayor, National Palace, and Metropolitan Cathedral in the city’s historic centre.
- Taste Mexican Cuisine: Savor authentic Mexican food at local markets, street vendors, and upscale restaurants.
- Visit the Zocalo: Experience the city’s historic centre illuminated at night, with the stunning Metropolitan Cathedral and National Palace as captivating backdrops is undoubtedly one of the most fascinating things to do in Mexico city at night.
- Take a Nighttime Boat Ride in Xochimilco: Enjoy a serene and enchanting trajineras boat ride along the canals of Xochimilco under the moonlight. Riding the boat under the moonlight is surely the most romantic thing to do in Mexico city.
Experience the Day Of The Dead
Visit & experience this unique cultural celebration in Mexico. If you love exploring new things & having new experiences, you shouldn’t miss this celebration. Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) is a traditional Mexican holiday celebrated on November 1st and 2nd, coinciding with Catholic All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day. The holiday is a joyful commemoration of deceased loved ones, where families and communities gather to honour and remember the souls of those who have passed away. This unique festival is surely one of the most exciting things to do in Mexico city for the ones who love new cultural experiences.
Climb Pyramids in Teotihuacan
Climbing the pyramids in Teotihuacan is a fascinating journey back in time. This ancient Mesoamerican city was once a thriving metropolis located near Mexico City. Visitors can ascend the Sun Pyramid and Moon Pyramid, marvelling at the grandeur of these monumental structures. As you climb the steep steps, the panoramic views of the Avenue of the Dead and surrounding landscapes unfold. Standing atop these sacred pyramids, one can imagine the awe-inspiring ceremonies that took place here centuries ago. Teotihuacan’s pyramids connect deeply to Mexico’s ancient past and are a must-visit destination for history enthusiasts and cultural explorers.
This Southern state of Mexico is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city of Oaxaca enchants with colonial architecture, art galleries, and a lively atmosphere. Explore the stunning Monte Alban archaeological site, a window into ancient Zapotec civilization. Admire the colourful Guelaguetza festival, which celebrates diverse indigenous cultures. Immerse yourself in the region’s craft villages, known for intricately woven textiles and handcrafted ceramics.
Some more enticing things to do in Oaxaca:
- Explore Oaxaca City: Stroll through the historic centre, visit Santo Domingo Church, and admire the colourful architecture.
- Taste Oaxacan Cuisine: Savour traditional dishes like mole, tlayudas, and mezcal in local markets and restaurants.
- Relax on Oaxaca’s Beaches: Head to Huatulco or Puerto Escondido for sunbathing surfing, and water sports.
- Explore Ethnobotanical Garden: Discover the region’s diverse flora in this beautiful botanical garden.
- Take a Mezcal Tour: Learn about the traditional mezcal-making process and taste different varieties of this iconic spirit.
- Visit El Tule: See the ancient and massive Montezuma cypress tree in the town of Santa Maria del Tule.
Oaxaca has a lot to offer to visitors, so if you’re planning a trip to Mexico, don’t forget to visit Oaxaca. Its vibrant culture, food, and ancient ruins places visiting Oaxaca among the best things to do in Mexico city.
Relax In A Hot Spring
If you’re a couple, you’ll love this one. From the enchanting El Chiflón Waterfalls in Chiapas to the serene Riviera Maya cenotes, Mexico offers a diverse array of hot springs to unwind in. Relax in the hot spring & make beautiful memories together. Immerse yourself in the warm, mineral-rich waters amidst lush jungles or stunning rock formations, providing a soothing balm for both body and soul. Bathing in the hot-water spring surrounded by rock & trees is indeed among the most soothing & romantic things to do in Mexico city.
Some famous hot springs in Mexico are:
- Hierve el Agua, Oaxaca: A natural wonder with petrified waterfalls and stunning terraces, offering picturesque views and warm thermal waters.
- La Gruta, San Miguel de Allende: An enchanting underground hot spring with cave-like chambers, providing a unique and calming ambiance.
- Chapultepec, Mexico City: The famous urban park in Mexico City features a hot spring-fed swimming pool, offering a refreshing escape in the heart of the city.
- El Chiflón, Chiapas: A series of cascading waterfalls and turquoise pools with thermal waters, creating a serene and scenic setting.
- San Juan Cosalá, Jalisco: Known for its thermal waters with healing properties, San Juan Cosalá offers a soothing escape near Lake Chapala.
Taste Authentic Mexican Cuisine
The most enticing things to do in Mexico city is tasting its delicacies & cuisines. Immerse in the delicious & mouth-watering cuisine of Mexico at famous restaurants or streets. Try tamales, wrapped in corn husks or enchiladas smothered in flavourful sauces. Relish the exquisite taste of traditional mole sauces, each recipe a cherished family secret. Wander through bustling markets and vibrant street stalls to find an array of mouthwatering delights. Don’t miss the tamales, gorditas, and tlacoyos, all made with love and passed down through generations. Mexican street food is a delicious and authentic experience, celebrating the heart and soul of Mexico’s culinary heritage.
Some great delicacies to try in Mexico:
- Tacos: Sample various types of tacos, from street-style tacos al pastor and carne asada to regional specialities like fish tacos from Baja California.
- Guacamole: Enjoy the classic avocado dip, often served with tortilla chips or as a condiment for many Mexican dishes.
- Ceviche: Fresh seafood (often shrimp or fish) marinated in lime juice with diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and spices.
- Churros: Crispy fried dough sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, served with a side of chocolate sauce for dipping.
- Quesadillas: Folded tortillas filled with cheese, sometimes accompanied by other ingredients like mushrooms or squash blossoms.
Shop At The Famous Shopping Centres
Wondering where to shop in Mexico? Search no more, Mexico has some famous shopping centres where you can shop to your heart’s content. Mexico’s handicrafts, traditional dresses, and souvenirs make shopping some of the most exciting things to do in Mexico city. Although the country has many famous spots, some of the best shopping spots are.
- Centro Santa Fe – Mexico City: One of the largest and most upscale malls in Latin America, offering an extensive selection of high-end brands, restaurants, and entertainment options.
- Antara Polanco – Mexico City: A trendy and stylish open-air mall with designer boutiques, international brands, and a vibrant dining scene.
- Plaza Satelite – Mexico City: A popular mall with a mix of local and international retailers and a food court and entertainment facilities.
- Galerías Monterrey – Monterrey: A large shopping complex in Monterrey, featuring a diverse range of stores, restaurants, and entertainment venues.
- Plaza Andares – Guadalajara: An upscale outdoor mall in Guadalajara offering luxury brands, designer boutiques, and gourmet restaurants.
- Plaza Las Americas – Cancun: A bustling shopping centre in Cancun with a mix of stores, a food court, and entertainment options.
- Paseo Interlomas – Mexico City: A sophisticated shopping centre in the Interlomas area showcasing upscale shops, gourmet dining, and cultural events.
Go Whale Watching
Whale watching in Mexico offers an unforgettable marine adventure. Places like Baja California, Los Cabos, and Puerto Vallarta are prime destinations to witness these majestic creatures along the Pacific Coast. From December to April, humpback whales migrate to Mexico’s warm waters to breed and give birth, providing an incredible opportunity to observe their playful behaviours and magnificent acrobatics. Additionally, grey whales can be spotted from January to March in Baja California’s lagoons.
If you’re planning a trip to Mexico in these months, watch the whales in the Pacific Ocean, as it is one of the most exciting things to do in Mexico city & may be the most mesmerising experience of your trip.
Explore Museums At Night
On the last Wednesday of every month, the museums of Mexico organise “The Museum Night”, where you can explore the Museum’s attractions at night. Museum Night promotes arts and culture, inviting locals and tourists to explore the country’s rich heritage after hours. The building is well-lit and looks really beautiful in the dark, which fascinates the people & places Museum Night on the list of the best things to do in Mexico city at night. Enjoy special exhibits, live performances, workshops, and guided tours during this vibrant and festive event.
Stroll The Witchcraft Market
Mexico is full of unique traditions & cultural activities. If you wish to explore more of Mexico’s culture & tradition, visit the Witchcraft market. This unique market offers various goods & products associated with witchcraft & sorcery, such as herbs, candles, incense, talismans, amulets, and religious statues used in spiritual practices like folk healing, curanderismo, and other traditional beliefs. Want to experience something different? Visit the Witchcraft market in Mexico.
Walk & Explore The Chapultepec Park
Chapultepec Park, located in the heart of Mexico City, is one of the largest and most iconic urban parks in the world. Covering over 1,600 acres, it offers a diverse range of attractions and activities for visitors of all ages. Within the park, you can find:
- Chapultepec Castle: Perched atop a hill, the historic Chapultepec Castle offers breathtaking views of the city and houses the National History Museum.
- Zoo Chapultepec: A popular destination for families, the zoo is home to a wide variety of animals and provides educational programs.
- Lake and Boating: Rent paddleboats and rowboats on the park’s lake, known as Lago Mayor, for a leisurely ride.
- Botanical Garden: The park boasts a tranquil and lush garden showcasing a diverse collection of native and exotic plant species.
- Amusement Park: La Feria Chapultepec Magico offers rides, games, and entertainment for thrill-seekers.
- Monuments and Statues: You’ll find statues and monuments celebrating Mexico’s history and prominent figures throughout the park.
Admire Architecture At Palacio Postal
The Palacio Postal, also known as the “Correo Mayor” or the “Main Post Office,” is a magnificent building located in the historic centre of Mexico City. It is an architectural gem and one of the most beautiful post offices in the world. The building showcases a stunning combination of architectural styles, including neoclassical and art nouveau elements. Its facade features intricate sculptures, elaborate reliefs, and grand arched entrances. The building’s lavish interior boasts a soaring glass ceiling, ornate ironwork, and decorative murals.
Today, the Palacio Postal continues to function as a working post office and as a popular tourist attraction. Marvel at the impressive architecture and learn about the historical importance of this iconic building. It is a testament to Mexico’s rich cultural heritage and architectural achievements.
Our Recommendations For A Perfect Trip
Top Hotels In Mexico
Mexico has many beautiful & comfortable hotels; you can check various hotels at kayak. Some of our recommendations are:
- Barceló México Reforma: A luxurious hotel in the heart of Mexico City on the iconic Paseo de la Reforma avenue. This hotel stays in demand most of the time, so you can check & compare the prices at Trivago to get the best deals.
- Hotel Emporio Mexico City: A contemporary and elegant hotel in the heart of Mexico City. It offers a comfortable stay with modern amenities, spacious rooms, and warm hospitality.
- Holiday Inn Monterrey-Parque Fundidora: Situated in the Fundidora Park area, the hotel offers easy access to nearby attractions, shopping centres, and business districts. The rooms are well-appointed and equipped with modern amenities for a pleasant stay.
- Sheraton Ambassador Hotel: A luxurious and contemporary hotel located in the heart of the city. With its prime location, guests have easy access to prominent attractions, shopping centres, and business districts. The hotel offers elegantly designed rooms and suites, featuring modern amenities for a comfortable stay.
- Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa: A luxurious beachfront resort offering a perfect blend of relaxation and entertainment. Nestled along the pristine beaches of Banderas Bay, the resort features elegant accommodations with stunning views, modern amenities, and a warm ambiance.
- Hampton Inn Nuevo Vallarta: A contemporary and comfortable hotel located in the popular resort town of Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. The hotel offers well-appointed rooms and suites with modern amenities for a pleasant stay. Guests can enjoy a complimentary hot breakfast each morning and access to a fitness centre and outdoor swimming pool.
- Doralba Inn: Situated in the historic downtown area, the hotel offers a blend of colonial architecture and modern comforts. The rooms are tastefully decorated and equipped with amenities for a comfortable stay.
- Hacienda Inn Airport Hotel: The hotel offers spacious and well-appointed rooms with modern amenities for a pleasant stay. Guests can enjoy the hotel’s outdoor swimming pool, gardens, and restaurant, providing a relaxing environment.
- Barceló Huatulco: The resort boasts a stunning setting, nestled between the Sierra Madre mountains and the crystal-clear waters of the Pacific Ocean. It offers a range of elegantly appointed rooms and suites, providing breathtaking views of the ocean or lush gardens.
- Holiday Inn: A beautiful beachfront hotel located in the resort town of Huatulco, Mexico. The hotel offers comfortable and well-appointed rooms with modern amenities, providing guests with a relaxing and enjoyable stay. Guests can indulge in the hotel’s outdoor swimming pool, restaurants, and bars, offering a delightful dining experience and refreshing beverages.
- City Express Manzanillo: A modern and comfortable hotel located in the vibrant port city of Manzanillo, Mexico. The hotel offers well-appointed rooms with contemporary amenities, ensuring a pleasant stay for both business and leisure travellers.
- Fiesta Americana Manzanillo: A beachfront resort located in the stunning destination of Manzanillo, Mexico. The resort offers a range of comfortable and well-appointed rooms with beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean. Guests can indulge in the hotel’s outdoor swimming pools, spa, and fitness center, ensuring relaxation and enjoyment during their stay.
Mexico is a vibrant city full of culture, tradition, cuisines, and more. From exploring ancient archaeological sites like Chichen Itza and Teotihuacan to savouring the flavours of authentic Mexican cuisine, the country enchants visitors with its diverse landscapes and vibrant traditions. This blog covers the 14 best things to do in Mexico city you can’t miss to have a wonderful time. Embrace the spirit of adventure and embark on a soul-stirring voyage through the heart of Mexico, where cherished memories are born and unforgettable moments await at every turn. If you’re planning a trip to Mexico, find the best deals on hotels on kayak.